Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Death & Rebirth of Flop Of The Pops


Roughly a year ago I joined the Flop Of The Pops blog as one of several occassional bloggers. At that time FOTP was an MP3 and leaks blog, mainly intended to promote the forum of the same name. A hack deleted the forum, social network pages and almost deleted the blog, which thankfully I was able to recuperate. Shortly thereafter everyone went their separate ways and I was left with the blog whilst others carried on with the forum or set up their own new blogs.

Focusing primarily on featuring great new music of all genres, the blog grew rapidly, attracting an ever-increasing number of visitors from outside the USA and UK (the main audience) and even giving me the opportunity to premiere exclusive tracks and interview some of my favourite artists. During this year I was able to cultivate great relationships with artists, managements, labels, publicists, other bloggers and many, many crazed music fans, who have all in their own way contributed to the blog's development and success. I had a real steep learning curve and am forever indebted to all the tips, hints, criticisms and encouragements received along the way.

As the new year rolled around and the blog's numbers continued to go up, I decided it was time to take things to the next level. As convenient as Blogger was to start out with, it no longer provides the flexibility needed to provide readers with the very best content, both videos and news. The Flop Of The Pops name itself also posed some problems, being now used not only by the music forum, but by their own MP3/leaks blog and a multitude of twitter accounts promoting said forum. On the one hand, tweets intended for me would be sent their way, whilst on the other, managers etc were likely to confuse my blog with the other of the same name leaking their artists' music. The domain name was already taken and it was easy to see how Google search results would prove plain tiresome and confusing to the casual reader.

I decided therefore to move to a new, self-hosted website, which I could edit and develop and make as dynamic as necessary. With the new look, new interface, a new domain name, new branding, new everything. A few tweaks are still necessary here and there but the new site is finally live! 

Without further ado, I invite you all to join me over at www.Josh-TV.com for all the latest music news, music videos, remixes, premieres, interviews and much much more!

Josh TV